Painting on glass with Elmer’s glue and Rit dye

Hi there everyone!

Today, I am sharing Painting on glass with Elmer’s glue and Rit dye.

Hope you are all doing well, and surviving this LONG, cold drawn out Winter.

Yes, even in SC, it is bad this year.

Today, I decided it was time to be the mad Scientist again in the kitchen.

If I am not cooking I am crafting.

I tried my hand at Elmer’s glue and rit dye.

I thought, hmmm..I have been using mod podge and rit dye in combination,

and only once threw Elmers glue in the mix of it, because it had sparkle.  You can check out that Van Gogh copy cat here. I have never really  experimented with Elmer’s glue and Rit dye, like I have with my other Mod podge and Rit dye vases.

The secret is the glue!

Elmers glue and rit dye 032

Instead of using traditional straight up Elmer’s glue

I went a different route and tried the rubber cement glue.

Elmers glue and rit dye 004

Warning, glue is strong!

What was neat about it, is it comes with the brush inside.

I only experimented on a tiny flower bud vase to start.

I painted the little flower bud vase with only one coat of the rubber cement glue.

Let dry for about 10 minutes

And then painted on my Royal blue color Rit dye.

Elmers glue and rit dye 005

Only one coat as well.

Elmers glue and rit dye 035

It took on a life of it’s one, with crackles and bubbles all over!

That’s about all I can show you for now.

I have some more projects in the works!

It is pretty darn cool though right?

oh and those are buttons I embellished on the vase as well and simple ribbon.

Cute for Spring, that is when it arrives.

vase with Elmer's glue and Rit dye 010

Follow me around if you like.

This is actually two posts in a day!

I was pretty excited to share this, I love it so much, and it was soooo easy!

You never know what I am up to next!

Here’s the step by step easy instructions:

SUPPLIES:

Vase or glass object of choice

Elmer’s rubber cement glue

Rit dye liquid form color of your choice

First:

Paint the vase with the Elmer’s glue, you can use the brush it comes with or paint brush of your own.

Up and down strokes.

Let dry for 10 minutes.

Put Rit dye in a bowl or pour in the cap.

Dip paint brush in and paint it on using  down strokes, One coat.

Let dry.

The end:)

Elmer's and Rit dye vase

Comments

1. Sandy says

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ♥ Thanks so much for all your wonderful projects. I am always willing to pass on your site, when someone sees and likes my “artsy” items. :)

2. Judith says

Hi Debbie,
    Love this idea……think I will try it as I have some vases that I received flowers in and are just stored away..Your ides are great…….

3. Linda says

Ummmmm….I’m a little reluctant to show my ignorance. I am new to this procedure and would love to give it a try. I am just not real sure what to do. Paint item in whatever pattern with glue then go over it with dye? Use a paint brush to apply dye? A few more details please. I can’t be the only newcomer! Thanks!

• says

Sorry, Linda if I was not clear. As I indicated in my post the glue comes with a brush, so I used it. You use a regular medium sized artist brush for the Rit dye and simply paint on up and down strokes. One coat. I just put a simplified step by step at the end. Thanks.

P.S. Never be reluctant to ask:) I will be happy to answer and help. Thanks for stopping by.

4. Linda says

I love the way it looks the cobalt blue color is just lovely it almost looks like something you would get it to corning Ware glass company and pay big big bucks for what a great idea

5. Stephanie says

I love this idea! I made it and the dye really separated – there isn’t much coverage like there is on yours. Any ideas as to how I could fix this or how I could do it differently? Also, the vase is really sticky. Can I do anything to get rid of that? Thanks!

• says

I wrote to you Stephanie. As I mention these are all experiments. I would try going over it again with the rit. If you did your one coat lightly it should not be sticky. Mine dried quickly.