How to clean and restore your hardwood floors organically

Hi there!

Today, I am sharing how to clean and restore your hardwood floors organically.

I am in cleaning mode in case you have not noticed.

Being housebound will do that to ya!

Did you miss how to clean your stove grates?

Real Hardwood floors are beautiful, no doubt.

However they do over time show some wear and tear and the natural beauty  and luster becomes dull over time.

You can pay professionally to have them restored, or diy them yourself.  That is truly a mess and costs time and money.

I am sure someday we will have to break down and do that, however in the mean time I found a natural solution that worked like a charm!

How to clean and restore your hardwood floors organically

This was so simple and much to my surprise not slippery.  I did a test area before hand to be sure we would not be slipping and sliding all over the place.

DON’T ever pledge your floors, just sayin’!

Solution:

1/2 cup of lemon juice

3/4 cups of Olive oil

1 gallon of hot water.

Mop.

NEVER saturate the floor with water. Make sure the mop is rung out well.  You should NOT splatter water on the floor, that indeed can cause damage to your hardwood floors, the water can seep through and cause buckling.

how to clean wood floors organically 006

These are the before

how to clean wood floors organically 001

Under the bar stools in our kitchen are probably where we get the most wear and tear.  The boys sit there and slide all over the stools.

I do have felt on the legs, but still, it just gets worn out and scratched.

how to clean wood floors organically 003

You can let this dry naturally, however I took an old t-shirt and went around the kitchen with my foot.

how to clean wood floors organically 008

Just to more or less buff it.

how to clean wood floors organically 013

They really did turn out nice.  The fact that my husband even noticed, told me everything!

Now to do the rest of the house!

Thanks for stopping over today.

Follow me around if you like.

Comments

1. Nanc;y says

Would this work on waxed floors too? I have old eartt of pine floors that were waxed over 25 years ago and would like them to shine.

Hardwood floors must be on the minds of people today. One other gal was talking about it on her blog and I showed how to make Shark replacement pads for my steam cleaner to use on Hardwood floors. That product sounds perfect. Did the shine last quite a while? xo Diana

3. Jeanie says

Beautiful. I will try this on my 1950’s hardwood floors. I am trying to remember a product you used to get granite looking counter tops. I think it was Giani? I am interested in how to do this. Thanks, Jeanie

Awesome tip Debbie! My floors are so pitiful looking and we will definitely have to refinish them at some point but I’m eager to try something to give them some shine in the meantime. Thanks!

5. Linda says

What a great idea awesome they look wonderful I will definitely have to try this on my bedroom hardwood floors thanks for the great tip

They look good. I’ll have to try it out. My husband and I were at the store the other day looking for a cleaner and he asked “why don’t you just get pledge” I’m so glad we didnt.

7. Christina Ruby says

I am addicted to your blog! Great Post! Looking forward to get more information from you. I have an older home with so many ideas in my head, but I also have 2 little ones that make doing things difficult. So for now I will decorate vicariously through you!

Great info! Hardwoods must be popular this week…several folks working on them. Living here is the first time I’ve had hardwoods since the ’60’s. :) I like that this mixture is natural….I hate to use a lot of chemicals. Thanks for sharing!

It’s been so very cold here and with the wind gusting up to 40-50mph I can hardly stand it when I take Forrester out for his walks. Today started out climbing to 70 and ended with clouds and another front on its way. :(

Hope you have a great weekend!
    Pat

Thanks for the tip, and I’m pinning this. On my list of things to do for spring cleaning this year is the hardwood in our foyer and dining room. I didn’t want anything harsh. (And to be honest, I really didn’t want anything hard to do either. I’m suffering from a case of the lazies where floors are concerned these days.)

10. Sharon Bishop says

I was wondering if your floors are finished or unfinished. We have unfinished floors that have always been waxed but they are starting to show some wear. Waxing is a lot of work and we’re not ready to do the whole refinish and seal thing yet. I have a little who is pretty close to the floor still so an organic option sounds great – but I am hesitant to use anything with water on them. Great post – thanks!

11. Debbie says

Just tried it and my floors gleam!!!!! . Since we moved in one year ago , the hardwood floors have always looked dull and dirty. What a difference. I’ll share in a few days how it holds up. Next time I think I would use a little less olive oil. If I didn’t wipe them after there would have been oil tracked all over. But, over all amazing solution. Thanks!!

12. Becky says

I am buying a house that has wood floors, not wanting to refinish just yet. I am going to try your recipie . thank you!!!